Mainly concerning wargames and wargaming. Also other stuff such as books, boardgames and films.

Oh yes and my general ramblings as well!

Friday 11 March 2011

Get To The Chopper - Again!

Last year at Reveille, I decided to put on a fun little game called, wait for it 'Get To The Chopper'.  It was originaly and still is a board game based on the first 'Preditor' movie.  I decided to go one further and develop it into a 3D game!

First of all I needed some suitable figures. Searched high and low but alas none that I could find looked sort of over the top Hollywood style or had the weapons similar to the characters. Then one Sunday at my local wargames club (Lincombe Barn Wargames Society) a fellow gamer was selling off some Warhammer 40K figures.  Just what I needed. Some Slight filing here and cut there made their weapons somewhat similar to the film characters. I also had an old plastic Warhammer 40K figure that I added a bow,wooden spear and arrows to.

           Blaine                 Billy                  Mac          


Butch (boy scout) with mud                Butch      

Next a Predator figure was need.  BIG problem!
I already had some Ground Zero Games figures of said alien (under a different name), but these were 25mm and were just too small up to the other figures.
Copplestone does some nice figures, but a bit pricey and I only needed one figure.
E-BAY my saviour. Some one was selling a limited edition 'Hero Clix' predator for £2, bargain!
Now I know it's bigger than the other figures, but the film predator was and It also gives a more menacing feel to it!

The Big guy

As you can see I tarted up his base to hide the 'Hero Clix' numbers etc.

OK now needed a target to reach. Yes the chopper. Nothing special just to visualize the extraction point.  Well on the way home from Turkey last year I found just the right thing in the duty free shop. A plastic helicopter attached to a tube of sweets (which were pretty tasty as well).

Placed on a wire stand, to simulate hovering and a quick paint job and done. Also made some medi-packs out of round base and couple of old ammo crates.


Chopper and medi-kits x2

All I needed to gather then was some tokens to use as life tokens, couple of hands full of D6's and the original character stat sheets from the game, which I laminated.

The terrain belonged to the club and was set out as per the original game map/board.

The games went well and especially the kids loved it.
It says in the rules that either none or only one of the characters will 'Get To The Chopper' and in all the games this was true. The game needs team work and it took some time for the kids to grasp this!!

Anyway a great game and I recommend it for beginners and seasoned wargamers alike.

Here's some pics of the game - sorry about quality as forgot camera and had to use mobile phone!

The four are ready to make a run for the chopper


There may have a bit of a way to go, as it's at the other end of the table!



There's something hiding in the undergrowth and it's not David Bellamy (one for the older UK readers).


"If we can just get across the river, there maybe a chance." You wish!!!!

The original free, yes free boardgame can be found HERE at Board Game Geek.

I have also designed a new character card.  Take a look HERE
 

2 comments:

  1. Good suff, enjoyed reading this, I have always liked the Predator franchise, keep posting.

    ReplyDelete